26.2.10

take me north (DIY)


So yesterday I decided to start my cape prototype. I didn’t. But I made this nautical blouse! I thought I’d get in on the striped trend but with a silky twist.


(1)First I drew the pattern (using a similar top as a template then altering the pattern to suit my design). When working with stripes it’s important to get them lined up properly before cutting and pinning.
(2)I then over locked all the edges before starting on the neck.
(3) I put a backing around the neck to insure it sat flat and didn’t twist the hem (getting this right is the hardest part).
(4)I then put a hem on the sleeves then joined the sides.
(5)I sewed a hem on the bottom making sure the lines on the fabric were straight.
(6) Lastly i gave it a good iron to make sure everything was flat and crisp (when using delicate fabric don't iron straight onto the material, put some cotton material over the top)

And voila! Here it is!

In the photos I'm wearing it with my velvet mini i bought yesterday.

Tonight I'm going down the coast for a weekend and won't be home till sunday night. Till then, stay lovely and have a good weekend =)

24 comments:

  1. It turned out great. Nice outfit!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks great ;D
    i wish i was good at sewing.sadly,i suck really bad and i have to ask my mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH WOW! YOU'RE AMAZING AND I LOVE THESE PICS!
    THE T-SHIRT IS FABULOUS!!!

    XOXO

    http://theminetteissue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. great t-shirt! :) i really love sewing clothes. you get exactly what you want, and with a small price. you're very pretty. :)

    http://raita2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that tee looks awesome, and so does your whole outfit!
    think you have an amazing blog, look at my blog, if you want :)
    maybe we can follow each other? :)

    xx mona

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog so much
    and great idea to make it yourself!

    xx
    nadiyeisnotmyname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love stripes,
    these are really pretty

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, such an amazing job, it looks like a real top you've bought from the shop.
    amazing DIY.

    Theory of a fashion victim
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful girl! i love your style and the top is just too cute :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love that top, i want it!!:)
    haha ok we're 18 & 15
    by the way, you must be a model??

    ReplyDelete
  11. ararararrar! This is the first blog I find in ages that I actually find amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressed! You should make a few and auction them on eBay with your vintage bits.

    renewvintage.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Girl" I Love your Blog - Follow! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it looks so great, its the perfect silhouette! And anything striped is great with me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are really gorgeous

    New post on the blog of the two young french girl Olivia & Mariam.

    Photos in Bordeaux, come and see it!
    Kisses from France

    http://daily-women.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. nothing like a good DIY, you have kickass style girl, will be followin- keep it goin

    bespok

    ReplyDelete
  17. fabulously constructed shirt. i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. your DIY is amazing... nautical themes are my favorite. cannot wait for another DIY post.

    xo.
    princesspolitico.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make me smile!
Leave a comment or a question and I'll try reply here or leave your blog.com and I'll visit you sometime.
Thank you dearest.